Friday, May 25, 2012

As you may or may not have noticed, I've been out of commission the past few days. I finally got my wisdom teeth out two days ago and am now finally starting to feel better, even though I still look like a chipmunk. The surgery itself didn't hurt at all. The doctor injected quite a bit of Novocain into my gums. I thought I'd feel something when he cut open my gums to extract four teeth in the back of my mouth, but the only sensation was a little mild tugging.

It's post-surgery that hurts. My cheeks were so swollen I could barely open my mouth, let alone talk or eat! Even this morning at 4:30 AM, I woke up in excruciating pain. It felt like my jaw was wired shut and pain was shooting from my mandible all the way down to my toes. I frantically fumbled around in the dark for my pain pills, praying that I'd feel better after taking them. If nothing else, after about forty-five minutes, I was at least tired enough to pass out again. When I woke up I felt a lot better, though, so I guess the pills worked.

I have to do a salt-water rinse ten times a day for two weeks! It's hard to keep track so I've established a tally system. I also have to use this disgusting prescription mouthwash that makes my mouth completely dry while also giving me the worst taste ever for hours. The worst part is that I can't eat or drink anything for at least an hour after I use it so I have to sit with it in agony until I can spoon-feed something soft to myself. Even then, it still lingers.

Anyway, today is supposed to be the last of the worst part so hopefully tomorrow I won't look like I'm harboring acorns in my cheeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment